Thursday, December 17, 2009

Embarrassingly..

.... I reviewed my previous post and my God! I had some terrible grammar issues to address! If my boss saw what I did, I would've had an hour-long (or so) review lecture on the rules of correct grammar and proper usage of words. Imagine my big boss: a sixty-plus year old with short hair, specs, still feisty and gregarious for her age, giving a lecture on proper use of the English language, but add a stick to her hand. Thank God she's not able to read what I just wrote. I might've been up for a whipping... whew...

Realizing my faux-pas reaffirms and strengthens a resolve: reading. I have read some write-ups, commentaries on Facebook, etc. A lot of good people have a lot of good thoughts and are very expressive in articulating their thoughts and putting it down on paper. Well, in this case, typing it on the screen via keyboard. Expressive as the writing may be, we sometimes tend to forget (maybe just a little) in ensuring the correct usage of the words.

I've heard a number of people argue on the premise that, the grammar may not be linenly-perfect, but the important thing is, we get to convey our thoughts and get the message to the receiver. Point well taken. I've used that argument as well whenever I've had grammar slip-ups. Mind you, I'm already in my 30s and I still make mistakes in my grammar. And even if I was really good at it, I'm not going to ride the high horse and lord my expertise over the others. That's just not my style.

Anyhow, however hard we try to argue the 'expression versus form' argument, I have to hand it to our big boss for allowing me to realize that grammar is still important, no matter how hard we try to beat around the bush claiming it's secondary. It is still important. Just imagine, writing to an application letter to a university or for a job, with the tenses and the words of one's letter have no logic nor coherence whatsoever. Old school as our big boss may be, she has a point, too.

Sigh..... I guess this is also a wake-up call for me to read, read, read, read and read more. I've been neglectful on my reading.

A disclaimer: I'm not giving a lecture on grammar, let that be clear. I'm also expressing some of my thoughts. My grammar can be horrible at times, too, but we can all correct ourselves and learn together, can't we? :)

'til next time.

Carpe diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment